Saturday 9 February 2019

Reading Novels


NOVEL READING


I finally finished reading the novel 'To the lighthouse' (1927) by Virginia Woolf and now have started onto 'The Count of Monte Cristo' (ENGLISH TRANSLATION: 1956). Actually, I was an avid reader of English novels in youth but stopped reading them altogether in 1995 and switched to non-fiction works. 

'To the lighthouse' is mainly a literary piece of fiction. To be frank, I could not understand quite a few passages of this novel and would have to re-read it perhaps. But it was still enjoyable and one can't help but marvel at the author's unique flair to present ordinary life settings in an extraordinary way.

Virginia Woolf was part of a very small, relatively elite group, the Bloomsbury Set. Many native English speakers also confess that they face difficulty in understanding her works.

Reading 'To the lighthouse' made me feel that English is a foreign language. And with 'The Count of Monte Cristo', I am feeling that English is my language.

- by S Roman Ahsan.

No comments:

Post a Comment