Wednesday 6 March 2019

Memorizing first 10 verses of Surah Al-Kahf



MEMORIZING FIRST 10 VERSES OF SURAH AL-KAHF:

Surah Al-Kahf in Holy Qur'an has a special importance with regards to End times in Islam. I learned in 2010 or so from different scholars and sources that a Muslim should recite entire Surah Al-Kahf on every Jumm'ah (after Maghrib Thursday and before Maghrib Friday). Also, one should memorize first 10 verses of this Surah. This has been instructed in valid Ahadith or sayings of our dear Prophet (pbuh).

Just to share, I started reciting this Surah 
on Jumm'ah much later, maybe 2012 because it is always difficult to include something new in routine. One has to struggle with oneself.
Also, it was in 2011 that I first made a plan to memorize first 10 verses of this Surah. I was to visit my brother in Dubai in May 2011 and I took along photocopy of first 10 verses of this Surah. My goal was to memorize all 10 verses.

We were in Dubai just for a family visit and not business, so I had time during the day as brother used to come home from office after 5 pm (even later) and then we would go out.

Hence, I was successful in memorizing 6 initial verses in those days. The trip ended in 2 weeks but it was still a good achievement for me (there were distractions also).

Do you know that I could not complete the target of 10 verses and it was in 2014 in Ramadan that I proceeded to memorize verse No. 7 and verse No. 8.

And then it was only last year i.e. 2018 on the last day of Ramadan that I was able to memorize the remaining last two verses i.e. No. 9 and No. 10.

The purpose of writing all this is that we have too many distractions today and it is not easy to memorize Qur'anic verses for us since Arabic is not our language.

But it can become easy for you if you work hard because all this is for protection against Fitna e dajjal as a Muslim.

So it took me 7 years to memorize 10 verses but you should be more efficient as these times are dangerous and prophecies of end times in Islam being fulfilled. I memorized some Sunnah supplications (dua) in Arabic also during those 7 years though.

Now I make it a practice to recite these 10 verses while offering Salah (Namaaz) in some of the prayers on daily basis. That way we keep revising it and are able to retain them in memory.

May Allah guide us and protect us - Aameen.

- S Roman Ahsan.

No comments:

Post a Comment